Chili Lime seasoning is a very common spice blend used in many Mexican and Tex-Mex dishes. It is a simple spice blend to make, and it will store well in the fridge for up to a week. If you take the time to dry out the lime zest about a day ahead, the blend will stay longer. This spice blend is amazing on any grilled meats, as well as fresh fruits such as mangoes and papayas.
You can use a jarred salsa verde for this dish, or you can use a simple recipe as listed below
1 pound tomatillos, papery skins removed
3 serrano chiles, stems removed and coarsely chopped
2 medium garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Place tomatillos in a medium saucepan, cover with cold water, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook for 10 minutes, then drain. Place tomatillos and remaining ingredients in a blender and blend until almost smooth. Do not over blend. Transfer the salsa to a zip lock container and place in the fridge for 1 hour. Salsa will say good for 3 days in the fridge.
Chili Lime Grilled Chicken with Cheese Sauce
- 2 Chicken breasts boneless and skinless; halved
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 7 slices American cheese; white
- 1/2 cup Salsa; verde, any brand
- 1 medium tomato; diced
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Cilantro; chopped
- 2 tablespoons Chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Lime zest from 2 limes
- In a small bowl combine chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, coriander, salt, cayenne, sugar, and zest from 2 limes. Mix well, set aside. Left over spice mix will stay good for up to a week in the fridge.
- Heat the grill to medium-high.
- Trim the chicken breast halves, then drizzle with olive oil on both sides, and sprinkle a healthy coating of the prepared spice mix. Place the chicken on the grill, cover grill for about 5-6 minutes, flip, and continue to grill until juices run clear, about 6-7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, tear american cheese into small pieces, add salsa verde, microwave on high for 2 1/2 minutes stirring every 30 seconds. May require less or more time depending on the microwave.
- Plate chicken, spoon over cheese sauce, top with diced tomatoes and fresh cilantro.