Brian & Aimy’s Fried Ice Cream
- 2 Sara Lee Butter Pound Cake (10.75 Ounce)
- 1 quart · ice cream any flavor
- 1 packages · plastic wrap
- 1 quart · canola oil (or vegetable)
- ¼ cup · fresh mint
- ¼ cup · powder sugar
- 1 strawberry and chocolate syrup
- Aimy loves to make fried ice cream and this is a simple, easy way, to enjoy a favorite past time desert with a twist. You must make the ice cream balls at least 24 hours in advance to allow them to harden for deep frying. This is just an AWESOME desert! Enjoy! (SARA LEE IS FROZEN BUTTER POUND CAKE)
- Defrost Sara Lee Pound Cakes, and then slice into 1/4 inch slices
- Take 1 slice and add 2 1/2 tablespoons of ice cream to the center of the slice of pound cake.
- Take the piece of pound cake with ice cream in your hand, and place a second slice of pound cake over the top of the ice cream and lightly mold the pound cake around the ice cream forming a ball or football like shape.
- IMPORTANT!!! – IF you see ice cream or cracks between the slices, use a little piece of an additional slice of pound cake, and wet your hand with water to seal in the ice cream.
- Repeat until all pound cake slices have been used and you have between 8 and 12 ice cream balls
- Take the plastic wrap, tear a piece about 10 inches long, and wrap one of the ice cream balls, tightly and make sure it is completely covered and sealed. Repeat until all the ice cream balls are wrapped, and place in the freezer.
- ICE CREAM BALLS MUST FREEZE FOR 24 HOURS TO HARDEN FOR FRYING! The ice cream balls can be stored for up to 1 week.
- When you are ready to serve the desert, add the quart of oil to a medium sauce pan, and heat over MEDIUM HEAT. The oil is ready when a drop of water makes the oil pop and ripple.
- Once the oil is hot, remove the ice cream balls from the freezer and unwrap. It is best if you set a large container lined with paper towel, or a large serving dish with paper towel for draining close to the oil for when you remove the ice cream balls.
- GENTLY drop ONE ice cream ball into the oil, and fry for 15-20 seconds, then using 2 forks, turn the ball to the other side, and fry for 15-20 seconds and then remove to the paper towel, repeat until you have fried all the ice cream balls.
- To plate, cut 2 balls in half, and decorate with chocolate syrup, strawberry syrup, powdered sugar, mint, or any other favorite toppings like whip cream or walnuts, etc
- Ice Cream Balls will not melt for some time, so there is no need to rush. The ice cream should stay hard for about 10 – 15 minutes after removing from the oil.